Lasting Impressions

When I was about 13 years old, I went to a friends place to hang out. Her father had a strange guest there. From memory the guest had dark hair just past her shoulders, long black finger nails, but she wasn’t gothic looking. She reminded me more of a gypsy. While we were inside, I looked up and saw this women staring intensely into my eyes. 
“You’re an artist aren’t you!” She stated. 
“Yes?” I said quietly, wondering how she knew that…
”An artist” she said again. I could see the passion on her face, like she was overcome with emotion. She said more about me, but sadly I can’t recall every word. But that intense moment of someone looking into my heart has stayed with me ever since. 

I have met many people since who have left lasting impressions, like a couple that lived on Halswell Street, in Whanganui, back when I was at art school. The man Robbie would do chakra healing and his wife Banyan would do intuitive drawings with pencil. I remember thinking, “What is he doing? I can’t feel anything happening?” But later in life I ended up being a chakra healer myself. They were a beautiful couple, very kind and giving.

One of the main impressions of course, is when I began at Ti Hauora o Te Aroha healing centre in the year 2000, just as I was completing my degree in printmaking. This is when my own spiritual gifts started opening up. I have learnt so much there, but ironically, the biggest thing I have learnt, is to be nothing. 

A few years ago, I went to see a lady for advice. She was very helpful and encouraging with my art. Sometime after seeing her, I decided to paint a picture without preconceptions. To my surprise, an interesting portrait of a women came, and the name “Evita” came to me too. I also had a strong feeling to give the painting to this women. When I gave the painting, funnily enough, she told me she had Argentinian ancestry, so the name Evita was very fitting. I feel this painting is the start of me 'branching out'.  

Why do certain positive impressions stay with us? We often recount them throughout our lives. They speck to us, to something inside. To me, these lasting impressions are like reflections of our own hearts, teaching us about our own true selves. 


                                                                                                  "Evita" 2014


Comments

  1. It's good to reflect and to remember the magic that occurs on this mystical journey. The artist in you has many aspects, musical, poetic, painter and writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all the inspirational people/artists I have meet. You are definitely one of them Sam x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hathor - Mother Goddess

Before Birth

Destiny