Four Elements of the Soul

To begin with I didn’t realise who this painting was for. I had been asked to do a painting for a long time friend who was soon to move to another town, but I had actually forgotten. When I remembered, I was almost half way through this one, which I thought I was doing just for my own practice, then I realised it was for her all along. I am glad I had started it already so I was able to give it to her before she left.

This painting took longer than usual as it was filled with detail. I drew it out initially with nothing in mind, and it grew almost like a diagram with four main sections. I realised that each part represented a different element. The Phoenix was fire, the mermaid/siren - water, Pan, the earth, and a fairie/nymph - air. The eight pointed star I felt was an amalgamation of these elements; the four elements over laping to form this shape representing oneness or unity. I later intuitively received the word 'Elemental' - which at the time I didn't even know was a thing. I then Wiki'd it, and found: "Universally, an elemental is a type of magical entity who personifies a force of nature and controls natural powers derived from their element such as earth, water, air and fire" I was absolutely stunned and thankful for the intuitive guidance again. 

I had realised at the time though that each of these symbols, even the dragon in the centre which turned out to be her Chinese birth sign, have a strong representation in Greek mythology. As well as the four elements, other symbolisim started to emerge. I found each element corresponded to each other. For example, the Pheonix represented the future and the Pan the past, the mermaid - death and the faerie - life. Then there was some symbolism that was related to her beliefs as a Baha’i. The two pillars the Pheonix is perched on are the twin pillars of Justice, or representing the twin Manifestations. And the two waves beside the mermaid, show two cycles: the Adamic Cycle and the Cycle of Fulfilment, the fish representing each dispensation in progression. 

I enjoyed doing this painting as I have always had a love of mythology and found the connection between what we consider Myth and what we perceive of the Spiritual Realm to be very intriging. I feel a lot of what we consider myth is already a part of a Divine Reality, that although it may not be here in the physical world, exists in a spiritual realm around us. Why else would cultures spanning the globe that in the past had little communication with one another if any, have very similar myths and fables? Dragons for example are present in many cultural legends all over the world. The same with fairies. I come from Scottish descent and both dragons and faeries play a big role in Scottish folklore, and along side, the Maori culture also have many story of patupaiarehe (fairie creatures) and Taniwha (dragon like creatures). It’s something I definately look forward to exploring in the next world. I have a personal agreement to myself that when I leave this physical world, I plan to have a white horse, a white pegusus, a white dragon, (I like white animals) oh and a white unicorn, and maybe a lamborghini - probably yellow: My spiritual wish list. Some may consider this list a complete myth but I beg to differ. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hathor - Mother Goddess

Before Birth

A New Dawn